Here are some important things happening around town that everyone should know about this upcoming week.
TODAY through Oct 30. Recology San Bruno is sponsoring the 2012 Coats For Kids” where new or gently used coats for ALL ages are being collected for distribution. Currently drop off containers are available at City Hall, the Management Office at "The Shops At Tanforan", and at the San Bruno Chamber of Commerce at 618 San Mateo Avenue. Flier attached.
Saturday, Oct. 27 from 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Join Assemblyman Jerry Hill at Mazzetti's Bakery 101 Manor Drive in Pacifica for another Java With Jerry. Here is your chance to speak face to face with your California Assemblyman - give him your complaints - tell him where you support him. Assemblyman Hill wants to hear from YOU! Flier attached. Info: 349-1900
Saturday, Oct. 27 11 a.m. 2nd Annual Trick or Treating up and down The Avenue starts at 11 a.m. Costume contest judging starts at noon in front of CQ’s Art for Kids. FREE. Ribbons and prizes given to the best costume in several categories. Event co-sponsored by CQ’s Art for Kids, San Bruno Chamber of Commerce, and the San Mateo Credit Union. Trick or Treat the south end of San Mateo Avenue with participating merchants from Sweet Confections & CQ’s Art for Kids to Baby World. For participating merchants, look for the orange pumpkin on the door or in their window. Info: San Bruno Chamber 588-0180.
Sunday, Oct. 28 San Bruno Farmers’ Market will be holding its Halloween Costume Contest where the vendors will dress up and the shoppers will be able to vote for their best dressed vendors. Find PCFMA’s Ashley wearing the yellow PCFMA shirt for all of the details and visit each vendor to determine which vendor is the “Best Halloween Dressed” and then vote. The Urban Farming Day’s raffle winner of a canning kit from last Sunday will also be announced. The winner of the “How Much Does The LARGE Pumpkin Weigh” contest winner was Elizabeth. Her guess was 103 pounds and the correct weight was 109 pounds. Thanks to all who guessed.
Sunday, Oct. 28. Haunted House at San Bruno Park Pool. Tickets $5.00 AT THE DOOR. Info: 616-7180 or www.bayareahauntedhouse.com
Sunday, Oct. 28 2:00 PM San Bruno City Park. Attend the Shakespeare’s quintessential comedy, A Midsummer Night’s Dream. This 55-minute production by the San Francisco Shakespeare Festival provides an excellent example of the bard’s fun-loving humour and evocative language. Follow two sets of couples whose romantic intentions are further complicated and confused by their encounters in an enchanted wood. Free admission
Monday, Oct. 29 6:30 PM San Bruno Public Library, Community Room - Día de los Muertos. Join Bilingual story time and then decorate sugar skulls! A San Bruno Library tradition for the whole family.
Tuesday, Oct. 30. Goblin Grotto for children 10 & under at the rec center. $7.00 per child. 5:30-6:15 pm Group 1 (orange ticket); 6:45-7:30 pm Group 2 (green ticket). Pre-registration required. NO tickets sold at the door or online. Info: 616-7189
Wednesday, Oct. 31. By 3:15 pm Kindergarten and under children should be lined up in front of JCPenney inside “The Shops at Tanforan” mall for a parade starting at 3:30. 1st thru 4th graders need to line up by 4:00 pm in front of Sears inside the mall for their parade that will start at 4:15 pm. Come dressed in your spookiest and most creative costume for the annual Halloween parade and contest, where the best costumes will win mall gift cards. All participating children 10 and under will receive a bag of goodies to kick off the Halloween festivities. FREE – no registration required. Info: 616-7180
Who’s Who and What’s What
1. PG&E’s line 101 that runs along the Belle Air neighborhood will finally get its exposed section of pipe inspected, recovered, and then covered back with engineered earth. Since it rained Tuesday night there will be a short delay as PG&E needs at least 2 continuous days of dry weather before they can start the work. This pending repair work will conclude much sooner that the initial 7 months – partly due to the assistance by U.S. Congresswoman Jackie Speier and California Assemblyman Jerry Hill who have worked since the San Bruno explosion and fire constantly to get PG&E to improve their SAFETY procedures as they supply gas to the Belle Air and surrounding communities.
2. The San Mateo County Mosquito & Vector Control District reports they have confirmation of a WNV Chronic Positive squirrel in San Mateo County. It was reported from the City of San Mateo on October 10. Attached is the updated list of all our positive and chronic positive WNV birds and squirrels for 2012. Our final numbers were 5 WNV Positive birds, 17 WNV Chronic Positive birds and 4 WNV Chronic Positive squirrels. Definitions: WNV+ Indicates a current infection (active viremia) that was acquired this season(primary concern). WNV chronic + Indicates a low level of infection that was not acquired this season (lesser concern). Note: Both levels of infection will trigger deployment of C02 traps at the reported site and immediate neighborhood. In turn, the pool of mosquitoes collected are sent to the Center for Vectorborne Diseases Laboratory in Davis for WNV testing. So far, all mosquito pools tested for West Nile Virus this year have been negative.” Questions can be directed to 650-344-8592. Remember to DUMP ALL STANDING WATER and Report freshly dead birds and Squirrels to 1-877-WNV-BIRD. As usual, the District will set traps for mosquitoes in the area. All mosquitoes tested this year have been negative for West Nile Virus. Attached is the District's September Report.
3. SamTrans reported at the San Bruno City Council meeting October 23rd on their ongoing study that will culminate in some route and service changes. Go to www.samtrans.com/ssp for a list of documents you can download and study. Specifically you can download a map of their route 141 that is the main San Bruno route. Multiple documents are attached. Questions can be emailed to email@example.com.
4. Committees, Boards, & Commissions, openings. At the San Bruno City Council meeting October 23rd the Council votes to extend the terms of the committee's, commission's, and Board's volunteer member's that expire October 31st to November 30th so the City can publicize the various openings and hold interviews. Attached is the list of the committees, boards, and commissions and their duties. Your City runs on these volunteer positions.
5. Nov 13 San Bruno Council Meeting Canceled. City Clerk Carol Bonner reports that the November 13th meeting has been canceled and the next regular meeting will be on Tuesday, November 27, 2012, at the San Bruno Senior Center, 1555 Crystal Springs Road, at 7:00 p.m. For more
information you may contact Carol Bonner at 616-7058 or by
email at firstname.lastname@example.org.