The California Public Utilities Commission hearing to consider who will pay for PG&E’s $2.2 billion proposal to modernize its pipeline system ended Thursday, and a decision is expected to come out soon.
As some recap, PG&E proposed the plan as a direct result of the 2010 pipeline explosion in the Crestmoor neighborhood. The company describes it as a comprehensive safety plan that includes upgrades to its pipeline system costing about $2.2 billion.
Despite public outcry, PG&E officials have said that ratepayers should pick up 90 percent of the tab.
Earlier this month, PG&E also said the state should offset the millions of dollars in fines it is expected to levy against the company for the San Bruno fire, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
The reason, according to PG&E, is because it used $221 million in shareholders funds last year to test its pipes and make other changes in response to the disaster.
What do you think?