Here are some important things happening around town that everyone should know about this coming week.
Tuesday, June 28. The West Bay Rams football and cheer league fireworks booth will open for business in the Bayhill Shopping Center next to . This is a fundraiser for their upcoming football and cheer season. See the attached flier for more information. In addition to the West Bay Rams booth, other organizations will be maintaining fireworks booths around town through the Fourth of July.
As a reminder, the city of San Bruno has a zero tolerance policy on the possession or use of illegal fireworks. Anyone observing citizens possessing or using illegal fireworks should call at 650-616-7100. The city's Crime Prevention Committee along with the Police Department put together an English and Spanish Crime tip sheet regarding illegal fireworks. The fine for possessing or firing illegal fireworks is $1,000.
Saturday, July 16. 8:30 a.m. Don't forget that this summer, the city will have its first ever youth triathlon, which will start at . Bring your swimsuit, bike and sneakers for the day of races. All participants will receive a T-shirt just for participating. See the attached flier for more information on how to register. The city must have 15 participants by July 8.
Who's Who and What's What
1. There is a new state requirement mandating all students in seventh through 12th grades to obtain a whooping cough shot before beginning the 2011-12 school year. See the attached flier for more information.
2. There are still three vacancies that need to be filled on the following city commissions: Citizens Crime Prevention Committee, Culture and Arts Commission and Personnel Board. The crime prevention committee meets at 7 p.m. in City Hall on the second Thursday of each month. The culture and arts committee meets at 6:30 p.m. in City Hall on the third Thursday of the month. The personnel board meets at 5:30 p.m. in City Hall meets on the third Monday of the month. Applications are available by visiting the , calling 650-616-7058 or emailing email@example.com.
3. The Crime Prevention Committee has put put together some summer safety tips.
- Let an adult know where you will be. (Spanish: Dejar saber a un adulto adonde estaras.)
- Walk in pairs. (Spanish: Caminar en parejas. Nunca solos.)
- Don’t be afraid to call for help. (Spanish: No tengas miedo en llamar por ayuda.)
4. You can still vote for which flicks will be shown during the city's Movies in the Park series in September. Vote for your five favorites out of the following list:
- Back to the Future II (PG)
- Cars (G)
- Despicable Me (PG)
- Hairspray (PG)
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (PG)
- Megamind (PG)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (PG-13)
- Popeye (PG)
- Shrek (PG)
- Star Trek (PG-13)
- UP (PG)
You can cast your vote here. The movies will be shown each Friday in September, starting at dusk, in City Park in front of the tennis courts. Admission is free. Call 650-616-7017 for additional information.
5. A new dental business has opened at 2102 Crestmoor Drive at San Bruno Avenue next to the store.