Here are some important things happening around San Bruno that everyone should know about for the upcoming week.
Today. 4-6 p.m. Meet Fernando and Greg from 99.7 FM for a chance to win prizes and try your luck at winning a key for a 2011 Chevy Camaro convertible. They'll be by . According to the rules, you must be 18 or older to win. For more information, visit 997now.com.
Today. 6 p.m. The free concerts in the park take place at the Rotary Pavilion in and will be selling slices of pizza for your dinner enjoyment. The Chamber of Commerce will be selling wine glasses and wine as a fundraiser. Support the restaurants and the concert sponsors.
Saturday, Aug. 20. 10 a.m. The start of the American Cancer Society's 24-hour 2011 Relay For Life will be held at Cunha Intermediate School, 600 Church St., in Half Moon Bay. (San Bruno's event was help this past April.) Relay For Life is a life-changing event that brings together more than 3.5 million people to celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost to the disease and fight back against a disease that takes too much. Won't you join this contributor and walk a few laps in Half Moon Bay, where he will be walking in memory of my brother-in-law Michael Monozon, who was a San Bruno businessman?
The following is the schedule for the Half Moon Bay event:
- 10 a.m. Saturday, Opening Ceremony
- 10:15 a.m., Survivors Lap
- 9 p.m., Luminaria Ceremony
- 11 p.m., Celebrate the Birthdays with a Party
- 10 a.m. Sunday, Fight Back/Closing Ceremony
Sunday, Aug. 21. The will be held in Commodore Park. There are still a few 10-feet-by-20-feet spaces available for rent. You must register ahead of time through the Recreation Department by calling 650-616-7180.
Wednesday, Aug. 24. As school starts for the , don't forget to check out the city's Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Committee's bike safety rules.
Events Beyond This Week...So You Can Plan Properly
Friday, Aug. 26. I've been told that Rib Shack will be selling ribs during the Concert in the Park. The eatery served chicken and hot dogs for refreshments at the Aug. 12 Concert in the Park.
Tuesday, Oct. 4. The 2011 Tastes of San Bruno, sponsored by the San Bruno Chamber of Commerce, will be here soon and early bird tickets are now available. There will be more restaurants and more seating this year. Call 650-588-0180 or email email@example.com for more information.
Who's Who and What's What
1. The San Mateo County Mosquito and Vector Control District reminds all San Bruno residents: Don’t be mosquito meat this summer; use repellent.
2. The city's Citizens Crime Prevention Committee reminds all students and parents to practice extreme safety around schools and all locations where children gather. Tips in English and Spanish are attached.
3. You can help the city correct problems when you report your observations about things that need fixing. By filling out the online form, you can report potholes, streetlight outages, traffic light outages, sidewalk damage, sign pole damage, graffiti, street painting needing repair and other items needing review and or repair. Visit the city's Public Services website for more information.