It is becoming scary how many theft related claims I have filed over the last few weeks. Homes are being robbed in broad day light, and cars are being stolen in the wee hours of the night.
Therefore, besides making sure you have an adequate Homeowners or Renters Insurance policy in place (which will cover stolen items), it is important to take your own security measures as well.
1. Keep all doors and windows locked even when you are home.
2. Update older homes with better door and new window locks
3. Inquire about an alarm system. It might cost a few more each month, but it is worth the added protection. (plus your insurance company may give you a discount!)
4. Keep high valued possessions in a safe or locked up.
5. Be discreet about showing what is inside your home when door-to-door visitors approach.
Keep your family safe and take the appropriate precautions. Look into your Homeowners or Renters Policy, check for loop holes in coverage and make sure to fix it if necessary. Don't become a victim.
Valerie Mazzola is an account manager for the . "Business Corner" is a partnership between San Bruno Patch and the San Bruno Chamber of Commerce that features blogs on Wednesdays guest-written by chamber members.